Classification title: Workshop Facilitator
Department: Malcolm Knapp Research Forest
Term: 3 months, with the possibility of extension.
Wage: $16 – $22/hour
Probationary period: 3 months
UBC Malcolm Knapp Research Forest (MKRF) is seeking a qualified and highly motivated individual to join our team and assist us with outdoor environmental education and recreational programming.
Under the supervision of MKRF’s Education Coordinator, the successful candidate will work closely with other workshop facilitators and staff members, including the manager, resident forester, and administrative and technical staff on a variety of tasks.
- Facilitating outdoor educational and recreational programs and camps for youth and adults.
- Facilitating outdoor educational birthday parties, events, and classes.
- Assisting in the development and organization of programs and camps.
This position will require physical activity and working outdoors in all weather conditions.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR
Must exercise judgment based upon a thorough knowledge of procedures, guidelines, and regulations. Must exercise judgment based upon the safety and liability of our team and guests. Incorrect decisions will directly affect the University’s and department’s reputation with government authorities, community and faculty, staff and students and general public and could require intervention by supervisory and or senior management.
This position will receive supervision from MKRF’s Education Coordinator on a regular basis. A performance review will be conducted at the end of the fourth month and after completion of the probationary period. Regular and consistent feedback will be given throughout the duration of the appointment.
EDUCATION, WORK EXPERIENCE, & CERTIFICATION
- Minimum a high school diploma
- A completed or an on-going degree in environmentally-related sciences is an asset or relevant work experience
- Current first aid WCB Level 1 certificate
- Class 5 Driver’s License
- Criminal Record Check
Preference will be given to candidates with experience working with youth and/or adult groups and with candidates that have recreation certifications such as lifeguarding certification, canoe instructor certification etc.
- Excellent communication skill, both oral and written.
- Comfortable managing and speaking to large groups.
- Comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Comfortable working alone and in team-settings.
Please submit a resume and cover letter, attn.: Victoria Farahbakhchian to email@example.com. Only those short listed will be contacted.
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply. We welcome applications from members of visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to engage productively with diverse communities.