The research forest leads tours and field trips throughout the year for school groups, youth groups and corporate groups. Cost is based on the type of tour and the group size. Space is limited, so if your group is interested in a tour, book early!
Two types of guided tours are available at the Malcolm Knapp Research Forest.
- Guided tours along the Red Trail at the south end of the Research Forest. We walk through two forested stands that have different management considerations and resource values, comparing and contrasting their different values with respect to biological diversity, habitat, and safety. A plethora of other forest related topics such as soil, indicator plants, ecology, intensive silviculture, wildlife, succession, windthrow and cut block layout, natural regeneration vs. planting, and other appropriate topics may be discussed throughout the tour, depending on the interests of the group and the discussions that develop. Tell us your interests and we will tailor the tour to your group!
- Operations/Research tours involve visiting our current operations and/or research projects at the Malcolm Knapp Research Forest. Usually, these tours are restricted to educational groups from post-secondary schools and professional groups from the forest community. Timing for these tours is limited for safety reasons and to avoid disturbing ongoing data collection from research projects, so please be prepared to build some flexibility into your tour date if you are interested in this type of tour.
The recommended group size is from 10 to 30 people. For further information or to book, please contact the Research Forest Main Office.
Field trips are led by experienced educators and are curriculum-connected to your specific teaching situation (e.g. science, social studies, environmental and outdoor education, etc). Field trips enhance classroom learning and are available by teacher request to students of grades K-12. During the activities, students utilize many science and math skills such as observing, predicting, data collecting and graphing.
Cost for Tours and Field Trips
The following cost recovery prices will apply:
- Commercial group: full day/$500, half day/$250
- Post-secondary group (university/college) – $300/full day, $150/half day
- School groups – $3/student, min. charge $20
Note: field equipment (compasses, tapes, etc) and office supplies are extra.
Wild & Immersive
The Malcolm Knapp Research Forest is proud to now offer nature-based programming options for both youth and adult groups at the research forest and at Loon Lake through Wild & Immersive. The goal of Wild & Immersive is to provide programming that is both fun and educational, focusing on outdoor education, environmental stewardship, creative expression, problem solving and team building. To learn more about programming options, or to book please click here.